In a bold statement, Steam has announced the release of their new service, Greenlight. Greenlight aims to provide an environment that is friendly towards independent game developers and their audiences alike. Additionally, Steam hopes to provide the developers with a place to be discovered, and to give the games themselves a testing ground.
You may be asking yourself, “What in blazes is Greenlight?”. Fear not, friend, for the staff at Solidus are here to guide you through the tentative new service, and let you know just what this is.
What Greenlight is:
- A system that lets you, the average user, determine what indie games manage to cross onto steam.
- “Community Quality Control” that helps both Steam, and the industry, determine what types of games we want.
- A tool for discovering new games and developers.
- This service will also keep you updated on the progression of these games, with screenshots, videos, and alpha/beta releases straight from the developers.
- An improvement to the way that Steam distributes titles, and helps the indie community.
- Overall, a very innovative way to introduce fresh titles to the world of PC gaming.